Current:Home > InvestBlinken says US is ready to respond to escalation or targeting of US forces during Israel-Hamas war -Momentum Wealth Path
Blinken says US is ready to respond to escalation or targeting of US forces during Israel-Hamas war
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 19:34:58
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. (AP) — Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Sunday the United States expects the Israel-Hamas war to escalate through involvement by proxies of Iran and asserted that the Biden administration is prepared to respond if American personnel or armed forces become the target of any such hostilities.
“This is not what we want, not what we’re looking for. We don’t want escalation,” Blinken said. “We don’t want to see our forces or our personnel come under fire. But if that happens, we’re ready for it.”
Blinken’s warning came as Israel’s military response to a deadly Oct. 7 attack by Hamas on civilians in communities in southern Israel entered its third week.
Israeli warplanes struck targets across Gaza overnight and into Sunday, as well as two airports in Syria and a mosque in the occupied West Bank allegedly used by militants as the war threatened to engulf more of the Middle East.
Israel has traded fire with Lebanon’s Hezbollah militant group on a near-daily basis since the war began, and tensions are soaring in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, where Israeli forces have battled militants in refugee camps and carried out two airstrikes in recent days.
The U.S. announced Sunday that non-essential staff at its embassy in Iraq should leave the country.
Blinken, who recently visited the region, spoke of a “likelihood of escalation” while saying no one wants to see a second or third front in the war.
He said he expects “escalation by Iranian proxies directed against our forces, directed against our personnel, and added: “We are taking steps to make sure that we can effectively defend our people and respond decisively if we need to.”
President Joe Biden repeatedly has used one word to warn Israel’s enemies against trying to take advantage of the situation: “Don’t.”
Blinken, appearing on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” noted that additional military assets had been deployed to the region, including two aircraft carrier battle groups, “not to provoke, but to deter, to make clear that if anyone tries to do anything, we’re there.”
veryGood! (863)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- 'The Bachelor's' surprising revelation about the science of finding a soulmate
- Cases settled: 2 ex-officials of veterans home where 76 died in the pandemic avoid jail time
- Are you eligible to claim the Saver's Credit on your 2023 tax return?
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Joey King Reveals the Best Part of Married Life With Steven Piet
- DMV outage reported nationwide, warnings sent to drivers with scheduled appointments
- Jhené Aiko announces 2024 tour: How to get tickets to Magic Hour Tour
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- RFK Jr. threatens to sue Nevada over ballot access
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- After a county restricted transgender women in sports, a roller derby league said, ‘No way’
- Supreme Court seems poised to reject abortion pill challenge after arguments over FDA actions
- Lego moves to stop police from using toy's emojis to cover suspects faces on social media
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Here's how to turn off your ad blocker if you're having trouble streaming March Madness
- Judge issues gag order barring Donald Trump from commenting on witnesses, others in hush money case
- Jhené Aiko announces 2024 tour: How to get tickets to Magic Hour Tour
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Mega Millions winning numbers for enormous $1.1 billion jackpot in March 26 drawing
Finally: Pitcher Jordan Montgomery signs one-year, $25 million deal with Diamondbacks
Texas AG Ken Paxton reaches deal to resolve securities fraud charges before April trial
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
North Carolina elections board finalizes results from primary marked by new voter ID rules
Michael Strahan’s Daughter Isabella Reaches New Milestone in Cancer Battle
How to watch surprise 5th episode of 'Quiet on Set' featuring Drake Bell and other stars