Current:Home > ScamsNorth Carolina’s highest court won’t revive challenge to remove Civil War governor’s monument -Momentum Wealth Path
North Carolina’s highest court won’t revive challenge to remove Civil War governor’s monument
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:28:30
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s highest court declined on Friday to revive a challenge to the decision by Asheville city leaders to remove in 2021 a downtown monument honoring a Civil War-era governor.
The state Supreme Court agreed unanimously that it had been appropriate to dismiss legal claims filed by an historic preservation group that had helped raise money to restore the 75-foot (23-meter) tall Zebulon Vance obelisk in the 2010s.
In the months after the start of 2020 demonstrations over racial justice and the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer, the Asheville City Council voted to dismantle the downtown monument out of public safety concerns.
The monument, initially dedicated in 1897, had been vandalized, and the city had received threats that people would topple it, according to the opinion.
The Society for the Historical Preservation of the 26th North Carolina Troops opposed the removal and sued, but a trial judge dismissed the lawsuit. The obelisk was dismantled before the Court of Appeals told the city and Buncombe County to stop the demolition while appeals were heard, but the monument base has stayed in place. Friday’s decision is likely to allow the base to be removed.
In 2022, the intermediate-level Court of Appeals upheld Superior Court Judge Alan Thornburg’s dismissal. The three-judge panel agreed unanimously that while the society had entered an agreement with the city for the restoration project and had raised over $138,000, the contract didn’t require the city to maintain the obelisk in perpetuity.
Associate Justice Phil Berger Jr., writing Friday’s opinion, did take issue with the Court of Appeals ruling that the society’s breach of contract claim should be dismissed because the group lacked legal standing to initiate it. But because the society failed to argue the merits of its contract claim to the justices, the issue was considered abandoned, Berger added.
“Therefore, plaintiff has failed to assert any ground for which it has standing to contest removal of the monument,” Berger wrote while affirming Thornburg’s dismissal of the society’s remaining claims.
Vance, who was born in Buncombe County, served as governor from 1862 to 1865 and 1877 to 1879. He was also a Confederate military officer and U.S. senator. The city has said the monument was located on a site where enslaved people are believed to have been sold.
The monument was one of many Confederate statues and memorials removed across the South in recent years, including one in Winston-Salem. Litigation over that monument’s removal by a Civil War-history group also reached the state Supreme Court and was featured in legal briefs in the Asheville case.
Separately, a Court of Appeals panel this week affirmed the decision by Alamance County commissioners not to take down a Confederate monument outside the historic local courthouse there.
veryGood! (529)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Arrest of Wall Street Journal reporter in Russia likely approved at the highest levels, ex-U.S. ambassador says
- Get to Know Top Chef's Season 20 Contestants Before the World All-Stars Premiere
- El Salvador Plans To Use Electricity Generated From Volcanoes To Mine Bitcoin
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Paul Rusesabagina, Hotel Rwanda hero, arrives in U.S. after being freed from prison
- State Department confirms kidnapping of American couple in Haiti
- Matthew Lawrence Recalls Being Tested Amid Cheryl Burke Divorce
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Facebook Gets Reprieve As Court Throws Out Major Antitrust Complaints
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- 13 Fun & Functional Must-Have's to Pack for a Girls' Weekend Trip
- 2023 Coachella & Stagecoach Packing Guide: Festival-Approved Bags That Are Hands-Free & Trendy
- Taliban bars Afghan women from working for U.N. in latest blow to women's rights and vital humanitarian work
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Step Inside Saint Laurent's Star-Studded Pre-Oscars Party With Jennifer Coolidge, Salma Hayek and More
- Rita Moreno Reveals the Hilarious Problem of Working With World's Tallest Person Jason Momoa
- San Francisco drag legend Heklina reportedly found dead in London
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
7 Hacks To Prevent Razor Burn and Get a Perfectly Smooth Shave
Tom Sandoval Apologizes to Ariana Madix for His “Reckless Decisions” Amid Breakup
Hubble Trouble: NASA Can't Figure Out What's Causing Computer Issues On The Telescope
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Now It's McDonald's Turn. A Data Breach Hits The Chain In Asia
Why Beauties Everywhere Love Lady Gaga's Haus Labs Makeup
U.S. Has Recovered Some Of The Millions Paid In Ransom To Colonial Pipeline Hackers