Current:Home > StocksJudge ends conservatorship between Michael Oher and Tuohy family in 'Blind Side' fallout -Momentum Wealth Path
Judge ends conservatorship between Michael Oher and Tuohy family in 'Blind Side' fallout
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:31:58
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – A Tennessee judge said Friday she is ending a conservatorship agreement between former NFL player Michael Oher and a Memphis couple who took him in when he was in high school.
Shelby County Probate Court Judge Kathleen Gomes said she is terminating the agreement reached in 2004 that allowed Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy to control Oher’s finances. Oher signed the agreement when he was 18 and living with the couple as he was being recruited by colleges as a star high school football player.
Gomes said she was not dismissing the case. Oher has asked that the Tuohys provide a financial accounting of money that may have come to them as part of the agreement, claiming that they used his name, image and likeness to enrich themselves and lied to him that the agreement meant the Tuohys were adopting him.
In Tennessee, a conservatorship removes power from a person to make decisions for themselves, and it is often used in the case of a medical condition or disability.
But Oher’s conservatorship was approved “despite the fact that he was over 18 years old and had no diagnosed physical or psychological disabilities,” his petition said.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Gomes said she was disturbed that such an agreement was ever reached. She said she had never seen in her 43-year career a conservatorship agreement reached with someone who was not disabled.
“I cannot believe it got done,” she said.
Oher and Tuohys listened in by video conference call but did not speak. Lawyers for both parties had agreed that the agreement should end, but the case will continue to address Oher’s claims. Gomes said it should have ended long ago.
In August, Oher, 37, filed a petition in probate court accusing the Tuohys of lying to him by having him sign papers making them his conservators rather than his adoptive parents nearly two decades ago. Oher wanted the conservatorship to be terminated, a full accounting of the money earned off his name and story and to be paid what he is due, with interest.
He accused the couple of falsely representing themselves as his adoptive parents, saying he discovered in February the conservatorship agreed to in 2004 was not the arrangement he thought it was – and that it provided him no familial relationship to them.
Oher claims the Tuohys have kept him in the dark about financial dealings related to his name, image and likeness during the 19-year life of the agreement.
The Tuohys have called the claims they enriched themselves at his expense outlandish, hurtful and absurd and part of a “shakedown” by Oher.
In a court filing, the affluent couple said they loved Oher like a son and provided him with food, shelter, clothing and cars while he lived with them, but denied saying they intended to legally adopt him.
The Tuohys’ filing said Oher referred to them as “mom and dad,” and they occasionally referred to Oher as a son. They acknowledged that websites show them referring to Oher as an adopted son, but the term was only used “in the colloquial sense and they have never intended that reference to be viewed with legal implication.”
The Tuohys said the conservatorship was the tool chosen to comply with NCAA rules that would have kept Oher from attending the University of Mississippi, where Sean Tuohy had been a standout basketball player.
“When it became clear that the Petitioner could not consider going to the University of Mississippi (“Ole Miss”) as a result of living with the Respondents, the NCAA made it clear that he could attend Ole Miss if he was part of the Tuohy family in some fashion,” the Tuohys’ Sept. 14 court filing said.
The Tuohys also said Oher lied about finding out that he was not adopted in February. They said Oher’s 2011 book “I Beat the Odds” indicates that he was fully aware that the Tuohys were appointed as conservators.
Agents negotiated a small advance for the Tuohys from the production company for “The Blind Side,” based on a book written by Sean Tuohy’s friend, Michael Lewis, the couple’s lawyers have said. That included “a tiny percentage of net profits” divided equally among a group that included Oher, they said.
The attorneys said they estimated each of the Tuohys and Oher received $100,000 apiece, and the couple paid taxes on Oher’s portion for him.
The Tuohys’ filing said they never signed any pro football contracts for Oher, and he was happy with their financial arrangements from “The Blind Side.”
Oher was the 23rd overall pick in the 2009 draft out of Mississippi, and he spent his first five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, where he won a Super Bowl. He played 110 games over eight NFL seasons, including 2014 when he started 11 games for the Tennessee Titans. Oher finished his career with the Carolina Panthers.
veryGood! (13883)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Singaporean minister charged for corruption, as police say he took tickets to F1 races as bribes
- Slovenia to set up temporary facilities for migrants at Croatia border, citing surge in arrivals
- Prince William Visits Kate Middleton in Hospital Amid Her Recovery From Surgery
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Who is Dejan Milojević? Everything to know about the late Warriors coach and Serbian legend
- Canadian world champion pole vaulter Shawn Barber dies at 29 from medical complications
- Florida Board of Education bans DEI on college campuses, removes sociology core course
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- What does this IRS code mean on my tax refund? Codes 826, 846, 570 and more explained.
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Mila De Jesus’ Son Pedro Pays Tribute After Influencer’s Death
- A Swedish-Iranian man in his 60s arrested last year in Iran, Sweden says
- This week on Sunday Morning (January 21)
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Northern Ireland sees biggest strike in years as workers walk out over pay and political deadlock
- Texas defies federal demand that it abandon border area, setting up legal showdown
- Columnist accusing Trump of sex assault faces cross-examination in a New York courtroom
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Can AI detect skin cancer? FDA authorizes use of device to help doctors identify suspicious moles.
Blood-oxygen sensors to be removed from Apple Watches as company looks to avoid ban: Reports
As the youngest Israeli hostage turns 1, his family pleads for a deal to release more from Gaza
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
5 people injured in series of 'unprovoked' stabbings in NYC; man arrested, reports say
‘Freaky Tales,’ Kristen Stewart and Christopher Nolan help kick off Sundance Film Festival
Gangs in Haiti have attacked a community for 4 days. Residents fear that the violence could spread