Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Special counsel turns over first batch of classified material to Trump in documents case -Momentum Wealth Path
NovaQuant-Special counsel turns over first batch of classified material to Trump in documents case
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 20:28:35
Washington — Special counsel Jack Smith has turned over to former President Donald Trump and NovaQuanthis lawyers the first batch of classified materials as part of the discovery process in the case over the former president's handling of sensitive government records after he left the White House.
In a filing on Thursday, Smith and his team notified U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon that they had made their first production of classified discovery on Wednesday, the same day Cannon issued a protective order pertaining to the classified information disclosed to Trump and his lawyers in the lead-up to the trial set to begin in May.
Prosecutors said that some of the sensitive material can be viewed by Trump's lawyers who have received interim clearances, but other documents require them to have "final clearances with additional necessary read-ins into various compartments." Highly classified information is often "compartmentalized" to limit the number of officials who have access to it.
The material included in the first batch includes the documents bearing classification markings that were stored at Mar-a-Lago, Trump's South Florida property, and other classified information "generated or obtained in the government's investigation," like reports and transcripts of witness interviews.
Prosecutors said they anticipate turning over more classified material.
The report states that the Justice Department has given five batches of unclassified material to Trump and his two co-defendants, Walt Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira, so far. Prosecutors said they will hand more unclassified witness material on a "rolling basis," as well as agent communications. The five tranches total roughly 1.28 million pages of documents, Smith's team said, and were handed over between late June and the beginning of September.
The Justice Department has also provided what Trump and his co-defendants estimate is more than 3,700 days, or over 10 years, of surveillance footage. Prosecutors dispute that tally and said their estimate is "roughly half of these numbers."
"The Government represents that, at this time, it has produced all search warrants and the filtered, scoped returns; all witness memorialization in the Special Counsel Office's possession as of our most recent production (September 1, 2023); all grand jury testimony; and all CCTV footage obtained in the Government's investigation," lawyers with the special counsel's office wrote.
The former president has been charged with 40 counts related to his alleged mishandling of classified documents that were recovered from Mar-a-Lago after he left office in January 2021. Thirty-two of the charges against Trump are for willful retention of national defense information relating to specific documents with classification markings that the government says it retrieved from his South Florida property in 2022.
Nauta, an aide to Trump, faces a total of eight counts and De Oliveira, the property manager at Mar-a-Lago, is charged with four counts. All three, Trump, Nauta and De Oliveira, pleaded not guilty to all charges filed against them.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Wisconsin GOP proposes ticket fee, smaller state contribution to Brewers stadium repair plan
- Mexico’s hurricane reconstruction plans prioritize military barracks, owners left to rebuild hotels
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly slip ahead of China-US meeting
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- 'The Voice': Gwen Stefani accuses Niall Horan of trying to 'distract' Mara Justine during steal
- Georgia’s state taxes at fuel pumps suspended until Nov. 29, when lawmakers start special session
- Britain's loneliest sheep rescued by group of farmers after being stuck on foot of cliff for at least 2 years
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Horoscopes Today, November 7, 2023
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Brittney Griner proud to represent USA — all of it. If only critics could say the same
- Bangladesh raises monthly minimum wage for garment workers to $113 following weeks of protests
- Syphilis among newborns continues to rise. Pregnant moms need treatment, CDC says
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Arizona woman dead after elk tramples her in Hualapai Mountains, park officials say
- Don't respond to calls and texts from these 12 scam phone numbers
- 2 demonstrators die in Panama during latest protests over Canadian company’s mining contract
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
October obliterated temperature records, virtually guaranteeing 2023 will be hottest year on record
Brittney Griner proud to represent USA — all of it. If only critics could say the same
US plans to build a $553 million terminal at Sri Lanka’s Colombo port in rivalry with China
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
'Music was there for me when I needed it,' The Roots co-founder Tariq Trotter says
Brittany Mahomes Shares Glimpse Into Girls’ Night Out With Taylor Swift
Jewish Americans, motivated by 'duty to protect Israel,' head overseas to fight Hamas