Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|World Cup champion Spain willing to sacrifice their own glory to end sexism, abuse -Momentum Wealth Path
Burley Garcia|World Cup champion Spain willing to sacrifice their own glory to end sexism, abuse
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:06:24
Spain’s soccer federation still doesn’t get it.
Distasteful as Luis Rubiales’ misogynistic behavior and Burley GarciaJorge Vilda’s sense of entitlement were, they also were reflections of a larger problem. Spain’s federation has, for decades, been dismissive and demeaning of its women’s players – when it could be bothered to acknowledge them at all – and the entire organization was steeped in toxic masculinity.
It was evident in the rousing ovation the federation’s general assembly gave Rubiales after his defiant refusal to resign last month. And again in statements put out by the federation slandering Jenni Hermoso and gaslighting every single person who saw Rubiales grab Spain’s all-time leading scorer and kiss her without her consent.
And yet again when the federation, despite claiming to have seen the light, watered down a statement by Spain's men’s team in support of Hermoso and the new World Cup champions, according to The Athletic.
Until that culture of oppression and neglect changes, really changes, ousting Rubiales and Vilda is nothing more than rearranging deck chairs.
“The changes that have been done until now, are not enough for the players to feel they are at a place that is safe where they can perform to their best ability, and that respects and encourages women’s (soccer),” more than three dozen players, including all but two of the World Cup champions, said in a letter Friday explaining why they would not be available for next week’s Nation Leagues games.
Spain’s female players have been clamoring for this change for, oh, about a year now. More than a dozen players were even willing to sacrifice their chance at a World Cup title to bring an end to the lack of respect the federation has historically shown them.
But the World Cup champions are never going to have more leverage than they do now, and they are smart enough to recognize they cannot simply give it away without real reform on the part of the Spanish federation.
The revulsion over Rubiales’ boorish actions at the World Cup final, where in addition to molesting Hermoso he groped himself while standing next to Spain’s queen and her teenaged daughter, has sparked a #MeToo-like reckoning in Spain. Vilda’s arrogance has made people, in Spain and beyond, examine who gets credit and whether it’s really warranted.
Had the players agreed to play in next week’s Nations League games, they’d have let both the federation and society as a whole off the hook.
Spain could make any number of promises to its players without anything to compel federation leaders to follow through on them. By the time it became clear that little, if anything, had really changed, the moment would have passed and the public’s attention would be elsewhere.
“We believe this is the right time to fight against these kinds of behaviors that will be allowed neither in (soccer) nor in our society. And that the current (women’s team) organizational chart needs to change in order to make it into a place that is safe and equal for future generations where players can be treated the way they deserve,” the players said in their letter, posted on social media by two-time Ballon d’Or winner Alexia Putellas.
It is unfortunate and infuriating Spain’s players are having to pay the price for their principles. Their World Cup victory, the country’s first, has been completely overshadowed by Rubiales. Boycotting next week’s Nations League games is likely to cost Spain its first-ever trip to the Olympics.
Spain opens Nations League group play against top-ranked Sweden next Friday. Because only the group winners advance to the Nations League semifinals, where the winners will qualify for next year’s Paris Games, the rematch of the World Cup semifinal is a hugely important game.
Spain’s players should be basking in their incredible accomplishment last month, celebrated by the public off the field and cheered by their fans on it.
Instead, they are having to shine their spotlight on the federation and its continued shortcomings, hoping the embarrassment over their boycott will shame Spain into doing the right thing.
“Everyone has been able to see these events that go far beyond sports,” the players wrote. “We should have zero tolerance to protect our teammates, colleagues and all women.”
Rubiales and Vilda might be gone. But the rot of inherent sexism in Spain's federation, and the blind eye toward it, remains.
USA TODAY's Sofia Alvarez contributed to this report.
Follow USA TODAY Sports columnist Nancy Armour on social media @nrarmour.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- USPS commits to rerouting Reno-area mail despite bipartisan pushback and mail ballot concerns
- Why U.S. officials want to ban TikTok
- Secret army of women who broke Nazi codes get belated recognition for WWII work
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Havertz scores 2 as Arsenal routs Chelsea 5-0 to cement Premier League lead
- Person fishing with a magnet pulls up rifle, other new evidence in 2015 killing of Georgia couple, investigators say
- Teen charged in mass shooting at LGBTQ+ friendly punk rock show in Minneapolis
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Golden Bachelor's Theresa Nist Shares Source of Joy Amid Gerry Turner Divorce
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- The Recovering America’s Wildlife Act Is Still a Bipartisan Unicorn
- Kyle Rittenhouse, deadly shooter, college speaker? A campus gun-rights tour sparks outrage
- The Recovering America’s Wildlife Act Is Still a Bipartisan Unicorn
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- From Tom Cruise breakdancing to Spice Girls reuniting, reports from Victoria Beckham's bash capture imagination
- Cristian Măcelaru to become music director of Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in 2025-26
- Why the military withdrawal from Niger is a devastating blow to the U.S., and likely a win for Russia
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
New laptop designs cram bigger displays into smaller packages
Call Her Daddy Host Alex Cooper Marries Matt Kaplan in Intimate Beachside Wedding
Courteney Cox Reveals Johnny McDaid Once Broke Up With Her One Minute Into Therapy
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Trump to receive 36 million additional shares of Truth Social parent company, worth $1.17 billion
Plane crashes after takeoff in Alaska, bursts into flames: no survivors found
Where are the cicadas? Use this interactive map to find Brood XIX, Brood XIII in 2024