Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:$11 million settlement reached in federal suits over police shooting of girl outside football game -Momentum Wealth Path
Johnathan Walker:$11 million settlement reached in federal suits over police shooting of girl outside football game
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:27:17
An $11 million settlement has been reached in federal lawsuits over police gunfire outside a high school football game near Philadelphia in 2021 that killed an 8-year-old girl and Johnathan Walkerwounded others, an attorney for the girl’s family said.
Attorney Michael van der Veen, a lawyer for the family of Fanta Bility, told The Philadelphia Inquirer that the settlement reached last week also requires the borough of Sharon Hill to give a citizen’s advisory committee a say in the hiring of police officers and requires offices to undergo training in using deadly force,
“The family has been mourning throughout this whole process,” he told the newspaper Friday. “I really believe that they’re going to find some closure with the settlement. I can see it already.”
The three lawsuits alleged that Sharon Hill failed to train and supervise its officers and that police used excessive force in August 2021 when they shot at a vehicle near the Academy Park High School stadium as Fanta Bility and her family left a football game. An investigation found the officers negligently fired 25 shots at a car they mistakenly thought was involved in gunfire a block away. Four people were hit by police gunfire that sped past the car.
Van der Veen said Fanta Bility’s family and two other women hit will receive $10 million while another girl shot in the foot will receive $1 million. The payout was capped at $11 million under the borough’s insurance policy, he said. The borough will also name a park after Fanta Bility to ensure that she is not forgotten, he said.
The borough of Sharon Hill posted a statement confirming that the federal lawsuit had been settled but including no details, saying officials wanted to “acknowledge that there are no words or actions that can adequately address the tragic loss of Fanta Bility.”
“Though this chapter has come to an end, our hearts and the spirit of the Sharon Hill community will be forever changed,” the statement said, vowing to continue efforts to prevent anything like the shooting from ever happening again.
Three former Sharon Hill officers were sentenced in May to five years of probation — with the first 11 months on house arrest — after pleading guilty to 10 misdemeanor reckless endangerment counts in a deal that dismissed manslaughter charges. Authorities said they could not determine which officer fired the shot that killed Fanta Bility.
The family has created a foundation that in August hosted a book bag and school supply drive and plans to advocate for better police training and safety measures. Van der Veen said the family will also push for legislation in Harrisburg to require regular deadly force training for police across the commonwealth.
veryGood! (81)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Gavin Rossdale Reveals Why He and Ex Gwen Stefani Don't Co-Parent Their 3 Kids
- Pete Davidson Charged With Reckless Driving for Crashing Into Beverly Hills House
- 'Medical cost-sharing' plan left this pastor on the hook for much of a $160,000 bill
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 'It's like gold': Onions now cost more than meat in the Philippines
- Biden signs a bill to fight expensive prison phone call costs
- Biden signs a bill to fight expensive prison phone call costs
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Peloton agrees to pay a $19 million fine for delay in disclosing treadmill defects
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Inside Clean Energy: The Case for Optimism
- How Olivia Wilde Is Subtly Supporting Harry Styles 7 Months After Breakup
- Energy Regulator’s Order Could Boost Coal Over Renewables, Raising Costs for Consumers
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Opioid settlement pushes Walgreens to a $3.7 billion loss in the first quarter
- These 35 Belt Bags Under $35 Look So Much More Expensive Than They Actually Are
- Southwest Airlines' #epicfail takes social media by storm
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Kate Mara Gives Sweet Update on Motherhood After Welcoming Baby Boy
Millions of workers are subject to noncompete agreements. They could soon be banned
Vacation rental market shift leaves owners in nerve-wracking situation as popular areas remain unbooked
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Vanderpump Rules' Tom Sandoval Defends His T-Shirt Sex Comment Aimed at Ex Ariana Madix
A Lawsuit Challenges the Tennessee Valley Authority’s New Program of ‘Never-Ending’ Contracts
Al Pacino, 83, Welcomes First Baby With Girlfriend Noor Alfallah